Friday, April 8, 2011

Why I am blogging!

Hello All!  Today I was thinking....I have read a lot of books in my 12 + years in the field of Autism, and by a lot, I mean A LOT! All kinds of books, books on Developmental Psychology, Emotional attachments, Apprenticeship, Dynamic Thinking, Problem Solving, Problem behaviors, Memory and Cognition, and one and on! All of these books have collectively added to my knowledge base and have all helped me in my professional career!  However, there was an additional BONUS that I never realized until I had my own son! The bonus was that the information I was learning was not only be applicable to my professional career but also to my personal life!  And if it's applicable to my personal life then maybe it could be applicable to yours too!

I realize that a lot of my friends also have children and may also benefit from the books I have read!  However just saying to them, "hey, read this book" would be like saying "hey, while your ultra busy taking care of your children, house and your career, here's something else to do" and yeah...that wouldn't fly! So I figured why not start blogging about each book I have read and that way my friends and anyone else who was interested could get the "Cliff Notes" without having to actually read the book themselves (unless you want to, then by all means...have at it!).

The first book I want to blog about is called: The Attachment connection - Parenting a Secure & Confident Child Using the Science of Attachment Theory By Ruth P. Newton, Ph.D.  I read this is a book in order to try and understand the early connection between a parent and a child and how/when it is formed.  My original purpose in reading this book was to not only understand where the breakdown could be happening for children on the spectrum but also how we could work on repairing this breakdown. Personally, my purpose for reading this book turned into preparing myself with the knowledge on just how to develop a secure attachment with my own son! All in all, this book informed me what Attachment Theory is and cleared up some misconceptions I had!  Perhaps you are interested in this topic as well....if so see you in "The Introduction" :)

No comments:

Post a Comment